1. Okay, apparently when I was complaining last night about how my entire street lost power for a couple of hours (and therefore I was missing a Skype counselling session), I should
have been complaining about how my entire borough lost power for a couple of hours
2. ... but on the upside, this means that I watched Belle
with my housemate over dinner (because we had matches and gas hobs and fully-charged laptops, oh
yeah, so food was a possibility as was everything else).
3. I continue incredibly annoyed that on any given afternoon/evening the 12-hour weather forecast determines my work schedule for up to the next week
. In practice I have spent today flat out in bed, because first day of period, so having tidied up lab last night to the point where I could leave it and it'd be safe was a good thing? But
still deeply irritating and seriously slowing me down (as is the fact that our lab manager's been laid out with something flu-y with complications for which she's been given antibiotics... for a fortnight
4. See above re knackered: what this means in practice is that I made the puttanesca pasta bake again and consider it Improved. It goes like this: in a large deep rectangular baking dish, place: half a bulb of garlic, finely chopped; a teaspoon or two of dried crushed chilli flakes; some oregano or whatever; as much black pepper as you can be bothered to grind; half a jar of capers, with brine; half a jar of olives, with brine; a tin or jar of artichoke hearts, with preservation medium; two wossnames of tomato passata; as much pasta (penne is good) as will fit, when stirred in well; water to just cover the pasta, stirred in well; top off with grated cheese of your preferred description if not dairy-free; stick in oven at approx 200degC for approx 30-45 minutes (we stuck it in the oven and watched an episode of Elementary while it was cooking and it was fine).
5. Awesome ex-housemate C has a PhD offer! This means I might
(depending on the places she's still waiting to hear back from) have cause to end up on the east coast of the US periodically...